If you share your home with pets, it’s helpful to choose a carpet that will stand up to the daily rigours of muddy paws and sharp claws. Here are a few considerations to help you arrive at the right choice:
- Pets bring dirt into the home on their paws, which can work its way into your carpets. So for easy cleaning and maintenance, go for a low-pile option like a Twist carpet.
- Polypropylene carpets are stain-resistant and bleach-cleanable, making them a great choice for any home with pets.
- Avoid a looped style carpet like a Berber carpet if you have pets living in your home, as their claws can pull or snag the pile.
- Pets often shed their hair and this will inevitably land on your carpet. So picking a colour that disguises the pet hair is a clever way to minimise the problem.
Five steps to a well-maintained carpet
Once you have picked the right type of carpet to best accommodate your pet, there are some simple ways to prolong your carpet’s lifespan. Here are a few of our top tips:
- Groom your pet regularly to get rid of surplus hair, which can become engrained into your carpet.
- Clean your pet’s paws after a walk so they don’t trample dirt throughout your home.
- Clip your pet’s claws regularly to avoid them snagging your carpet.
- Use runners or matting at the entrance to your home to pick up any surplus dirt.
- And of course, vacuum your new carpet regularly to keep it looking its very best.