Dressing your windows with a pair of curtains or a stylish blind is an easy and convenient way to update your interior. But with so many options it can be hard to know where to start. Our guide to curtains and blinds will help you decide what you need from your new window dressings, and will take you through the benefits of each - so that when it comes to choosing, you’ll be able to make the right decision for your home.
What do you want your window dressings to achieve?
The first step in deciding how you should dress your windows is knowing what you’d like them to achieve. For example, do they need to have any practical benefits, like blackout properties for a bedroom or thermal properties for a draughty living room? Also, have a think about how you will use them and whether you have any additional requirements, like easy to clean or the ability to withstand moisture. Of course, it could be that you are just on the lookout for something stylish to put at the window, in which case you will be spoilt for choice. Once you are completely clear on what it is that you need - and want - you can start the search for your perfect window dressing.
Why choose curtains?
Curtains provide a luxurious look at the window, while also offering a lot of practical benefits. In general, curtains are best for:
- Keeping the room warm - Curtains provide an extra layer of insulation at your window, preventing unwanted draughts from getting in, and stopping precious heat from escaping. Thermal linings are also available for added cosiness.
- Blocking out the light - Blackout-lined curtains keep light disruption to a minimum, so you can get a good night’s sleep in a bedroom, or reduce unwanted glare on tv and computer screens in a living room or home office.
- Noise reduction – Curtains can help stop unwanted noise from getting in, promoting a more restful atmosphere inside.
- Protecting your privacy - Translucent voile curtains protect your privacy during the day, whilst still letting lots of natural light in.
- Making windows appear bigger than they are – Positioned correctly, curtains can make your windows appear much taller and wider.
- Beautiful looks – A pair of floor-length curtains will transform your window into the focal point of a room. Plus, matching accessories are available.
Why choose blinds?
Blinds come in a wide range of different styles, all of which have their own unique advantages. In general, blinds are best for:
- A sleek and streamlined effect – Blinds provide a neat and tidy look at the window as they fit within your window’s recess and do not need additional accessories like poles, valances or tie-backs.
- The ability to fit into small, wide or even sloping windows – Made-to-measure blinds can be made to fit the most challenging windows - even sloping styles.
- Value for money – A simple blind is a cost-effective way to control the light in your home, especially if you have multiple windows to dress.
- Superior light control – You can let the light stream in, filter it, or block it out completely depending on the blind you choose.
- Water-resistance – Certain blinds can be made with water-resistant fabric, perfect for steamy bathrooms and kitchens.
- Energy efficiency – Innovative ThermashadeTM blinds can prevent heat loss through your windows by as much as 51%, helping to keep those energy bills down.